PSHE - Intent
At St Joseph's, we believe that PSHE is an integral part of the curriculum, as the skills learnt will equip our children for their futures and will enable them to become active members of society.
Based on the National Curriculum and our mission statement, we aim to provide a Catholic environment, which will enable each child to grow in understanding so that they reach their full potential, spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, morally, physically and socially. Through their understanding of PSHE, children will be able to succeed in many different areas of the curriculum and throughout life as the learned skills are transferrable.
By the end of their time at St Joseph's, children should:
- Have respect for God and each other through the ethos of the school community and the teaching of the Gospel values
- Know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle
- Understand what makes for good relationships with others
- Have respect for others regardless of race, gender and mental and physical disability
- Be independent and responsible members of the school community
- Develop self-confidence and self-esteem and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues
- Develop good relationships with other members of the school and the wider community
- Prepare children for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life
- Have high levels of confidence and self esteem